Abiding in the Self


12.1

Janaka said:

At first repelled by body’s acts,
next by long speech and then by thought ...
it’s thus alone that I abide.

12.2

Not getting to be int’rested in sound
and other kinds of sense,
and by there being nothing seen
of self by our sense faculties,
I’m always free at heart: of both
distraction and one-pointedness.
It’s thus alone that I abide.

12.3

It’s only in distraction caused
by superimposition (and
such other things) that action need
be taken to become absorbed
in concentrated states of mind.

This being seen to be the rule,
it’s thus alone that I abide.

12.4

Where all accepting and rejecting
have been left behind, there can
be no excitement or dejection
that produce a show of change.

Thus, here and now, a state is reached
in which no change at all appears.
No changing happening is shown
deceptively superimposed
upon unchanged reality.

Just that itself is all there is,
found where no happenings appear.
It’s thus alone that I abide.

12.5

What way of life to lead or not,
or meditation, or rejecting habits
and beliefs that mind
has currently come to accept ...

discerning my mistaken fancies
and confusions by these means,
I come at last to clarity,
in which I thus alone abide.

12.6

Restraining or avoiding action
comes as much from ignorance
as action seeking to achieve
desired objects in the world.

Beyond what’s done or is not done,
there is this principle of truth,
which must be fully recognized
by coming back to what it is.

It’s there, alone, that I abide.

12.7

In thinking of what can’t be thought
some form of thought must be involved.
So too that last-remaining mode
of thinking must be given up,
to stand in truth where I abide.

12.8

Whoever has accomplished that
has done what needed to be done,
has now arrived at what was sought.

Whoever lives there naturally
finds truth alone, spontaneously,
throughout all changes that appear.

Established thus, in truth alone,
all that was needed has been done.